Happy Valentine’s Day!
I hope you have something special planned with your significant other or a Galentine’s celebration planned with all of your girlfriends. Regardless, enjoy your day! Valentine’s Day should not be the only day where you attempt to appreciate those around you but it is a nice little reminder to take some time to show those you love all that you feel in your heart for them. My husband and I are playing it by ear this year…
Speaking of Valentine’s Day, I thought it might be a nice little time to share how I ended up with my sweet husband.
Our story starts way back in early elementary school. You see, being the small town kids that we are, we’ve known each other back to our earliest memories. I struggle to remember a time in my life where I didn’t know he existed. We became the best of friends in first grade and hung out every day. We’ve been through it all together in those years. Just a brief rundown of our relationship:
- 1991: Elementary school begins and so does my constant interaction with Matt. While we had known each other before, it wasn’t until elementary school that we really saw one another often.
- 1993: In 3rd grade, he still was my friend after he attempted to teach me how to pass a ball in basketball and I proceeded to hit him in the face with the ball giving him a bloody nose.
- 1994: Matt always stuck by me when I struggled or didn’t fit in. When the mean girls of school attacked, he made sure I was okay.
- 1997: In 6th grade, when I went skateboarding and broke my hip he came to visit me often even though I had to be homeschooled for months on end because I was confined to a wheelchair.
- 1998: In middle school, we started hanging out with different groups but always checked in on each other.
- 2000: In high school, he became the adventurous one who wasn’t afraid to have fun & I became the studious “geek” who didn’t know how to cut loose. We drifted apart but always remained there for each other if we needed it.
- 2004: College happened and I moved away. He called at random but I rarely answered.
- Late 2007: I moved home from college. He got a new phone and decided to see if I would actually answer it. If I didn’t, he claims he was ready to delete my number forever. I guess you know what happened, right?! I answered.
- Late 2007: We met up to “talk” and went to Starbucks (which I would find out later that he doesn’t like) and sat at a golf course talking for hours. We saw each other nearly every day since.
- 2008: After a few months, we moved in together. We got two cuddly cats and knew this was going to last quite a while.
- 2009-2013: We moved into a house together. We made it our home and got our puppy Louie.
- 2013: Matt came home and asked if I wanted to go to dinner. For some reason, I must have had a gut feeling, I spent extra time getting ready that night. We went to one of my favorite restaurants and then drove out to the beach afterward. Seals were bobbing in the water in front of us. Matt asked if I’d marry him. I was shaking I was so excited…Obviously I said, “Yes!” I’ll never forget that we were so excited to tell everyone our news that we drove an hour to go and tell our families at 10:00 at night our good news.
- 2014: We said “I do!” at our families tasting room overlooking one of the family vineyards. See this post here for wedding pictures.
What’s your love story? I would love to hear it!